Strong sunshine, rain, snow, heat, cold and pests can all harm your wood fence and natural aging can also take its toll, causing the wood to become dull and weak. However, if you notice the signs of aging or damage on your wood fence, you don’t necessarily need to replace it – here are some things that you can do to refresh it and to make it resistant to the elements:
- Wash the fence – you can use a power washer set to deliver a mild spray or you can do it manually, applying the cleaning solution with a sponge. Wait until the fence is completely dry before you move on to the next step: inspection;
- Check the fence inch by inch to identify any damage that needs Brighton fence repair contractor services. Look for signs of mold, mildew, rot, insect attack and cracks – if the damage is not too extensive, correct with some wood preservative and caulk;
- Apply protective coating on all the wooden components of your fence, on the healthy surfaces as well as on the parts that have been repaired. Wait for the coating to dry completely. If you want to preserve the natural color of the wood, the coating is the last task. If you want to change the color, apply your stain or paint carefully, in a uniform layer without drips.
Security fencing is a type of structure used for the delimitation of a property that serves mainly practical purposes, such as privacy and the protection of the premises from intruders, the aesthetic role being of secondary importance. The materials used for building security fences need to be strong, durable and resistant to the elements – here are Thornton fence company top choices:
- Timber fencing – these fences combine strong wood with even stronger steel frames and posts for enhanced durability. Timber fences can be styled to block the view from the exterior completely and their height can be customized to the requirements of the premises;
- Metal fencing – metal is a strong and versatile material that is used for manufacturing various types of fences. The list of the types of Thornton fence company metal fences used for security is long, the most common being palisade fencing consisting of poles joined by metal connecting elements and used for building tall fences that form very durable defensive structures and apex railings with pegs that are not only durable, but also attractive;
- Mesh fencing – fencing made from metal mesh is a great, economical solution that provides maximum security. There are lots of options when it comes to the density and the style of the mesh, allowing the owner of the propriety to choose the option that works best for the specific requirements of the propriety.
If you are currently in the process of choosing the best material for your fence, it is important to find out how long you can expect your fence to protect your property. Here is what the most common Brighton fencing materials offer in terms of longevity:
- Wooden fences – the most attractive of all available materials is also the shortest-lived. However, with proper maintenance, regular inspections and timely repairs, you can expect your wood fence to stay healthy and solid for about 20 years;
- Chain link fences – these sturdy Brighton fencing constructions are made from wire made from galvanized steel or from other metal alloys and many of these fences use wire that is covered in plastic for even more resistance. Chain link Brighton fencing can be expected to resist for at least 30 years;
- Vinyl fences – the synthetic material is very popular due to its attractive appearance, its affordability and for the expected lifespan of at least 40 years. Vinyl fences don’t need any special maintenance, but broken components cannot be repaired, so the only way to fix such damage is through replacement;
- Masonry fences – these constructions are the strongest, most durable of them all: your masonry fence can be relied on for 50+ years without requiring any special attention or maintenance (other than occasional cleaning and inspection, of course).
Commercial fences, like any built structure, need maintenance to be able to perform well for the entire lifespan they are warranted for. Here are some efficient maintenance tasks suggested by fencing pros, like those found at Metro Fence Company Inc, that will prolong the life of your commercial fence:
- Regular inspections and cleaning – the dust, dirt and grime that settles on your fence can be harmful and might weaken your fence, whatever material it is made from. To prevent that from happening, clean the fence every six months and inspect it to see whether any repairs are necessary. Pay attention to the foundation of the posts, too – loose posts can lead to fence sagging and fence leaning, compromising the strength of the entire fence;
- Timely repairs – if you detect any fault, such as sagging, cracks, rust on metal components, signs of mold, rot, mildew or insect attack on wood components, take immediate repair action to prevent the faults from getting worse;
- Damage prevention – wood, metal and masonry fences need more protection from the elements than the fences made from synthetic materials. Fortunately, there are lots of great protective coating products available – pick your product and make sure to apply it and reapply it according to the instructions for best results.