Residential fences are an important part of your property, and protecting them from outside elements is quintessential to the longevity and safety of your home.
The summer sun can deteriorate mostly any type of fence, but especially wood fences. In order to make sure that your fence is safe and sound in summer, you probably may need to take measures in the previous seasons, starting from the fall and winter of the previous year. Thus, you may need to replace any rotten pickets or rusty hinges, before they get more deteriorated and cause more severe problems to your residential property.
Cleaning away any kind of debris or vegetation is also of paramount importance for keeping your residential fence in a good shape. Before preparing for sun proofing procedures, it is very important to clean your fence properly, probably with a pressure washer.
Residential fencing company Denver experts recommend that painting or staining your wooden fence with UV-resistant covering is the next thing to do in order to have a safe and sound fence all throughout the hot summer days.
You can use a brush or a sprayer, depending on the type of product that you are using and on the instructions that are typically printed on the product’s package.
There are several ways in which you can save time and money on your new fence. First of all, you may want to start with a good plan.
Planning each phase and making a reasonable estimate of the costs and efforts which you can invest in your Denver fence project are essential steps in helping you reduce costs.
At the same time, another great idea is to draw the fence and add the necessary measurements for building the fence you want for your property.
Choosing the most desirable and feasible design for your fence is also very important. After you decide on the type and style you want for your fence, you can finally start choosing the materials, textures and colors you want to use.
Making a list of the tools you need for building your fence is another major step to be taken while building a fence. Such a list may include things like: work gloves, power drills, hammers, tape measures, carpenter pencils, wheelbarrow, line level, and so on.
At the same time, you should set a budget for your diy fence installation Denver project and be able to plan the whole labor process in order to make the whole operation more efficient and stress-free.
Painting a fence can be an important challenge. Even if you’re used to painting parts and elements of your home, you might find that depending on the type of fence you have, the results you get will differ a lot depending on your actual approach.
When starting out, pros from https://metrofence.net/ say, it’s important to properly prepare the fence, especially if you have a wooden fence or a fence made from another material that attracts organic compounds and dust, or that has signs of mold and degradation. The first step is to clean up your fence properly, remove any pests or weeds that might hinder your progress, and eliminate any mold that might have formed on your fence after too much exposure to rainwater and moisture.
After doing all that, it’s important to let your fence dry before applying the primer and paint. It is essential to ensure that the primer you buy is suited to the type of fence you have, otherwise it will fail to offer proper protection.
Finally, applying an eco-friendly paint is an important asset, along with buying the right kind of painting equipment to ensure an ideal spread and avoid having your paint dripping down. A second coat of paint is often necessary to get the kind of appearance that you wanted in the first place.
Rain, wind, frost, insects or animals can affect the integrity of a wooden fence. Repairing the small defects as you spot them is absolutely necessary, and you should do this before performing any maintenance operation. According to residential fence company pros, many repairs are quite easy to do and only require some handiness.
Start by checking each nail and board, fix the displaced ones and replace those that are damaged. Pay particular attention to the lower part of the fence boards, close to the ground, because it is more prone to rotting. Also look for signs of insect attack.
Another DIY operation you can do is treating the wood with anti-mildew solutions and varnish, but before doing so, the surface of the fence must be spotless, free of dust or other impurities. If the boards still present traces of the previous paint/ varnish layers, it is advisable to use a stripper – a solution that helps to remove them completely.
Treatment and painting of a wooden fence is quite easy to do and involves the use of several substances that have the role to protect it from the weather, from the action of pests and to restore its appearance.
If you want to keep your wooden fence in good shape for as long as possible, do not forget also to wash it regularly using water from a garden hose and mild detergent. Prompt removal of dirt, dust and plant debris will prolong its life and ease your future work related to performing repairs.
DIY fencing is not necessarily very complicated, but requires some skills and paying attention to avoid some common mistakes that may cost you quite a lot of money.
- Purchasing low quality fencing materials -When you shop for fencing materials, avoid choosing the cheapest, because they are also low quality. Even if you are on a budget, you should avoid compromising on quality. With a little research, you will surely be able to identify a good option in terms of costs and durability.
- Ignoring to treat the wood before installing the fence – Wood fences require special treatment to ensure their resistance in time, by avoiding problems caused by rot, insects attack and exposure to the elements.
- Installing the wrong type of fence – Fence repair Thornton CO contractors know how to identify the best type of fence for your property, but inexperienced homeowners can make mistakes. In many cases, people tend to opt for a tall privacy fence, even if it looks completely out of place, and a simple white picket fence would do just fine.
- Not anchoring the fence posts properly – Using enough fence posts and bury them deeply into the ground is essential in any fencing project. Unfortunately, sometimes DIYers want to finish the work sooner and use fewer posts, which can make the fence unstable.
Installing a new fence can be a costly especially if you choose some attractive materials and design. Although the aspect of a fence should not be more important than its functionality, you can still get an affordable solution that also looks nice. Consider the fence installation Denver suggestions below.
Wood Fence Panels
There are custom-built fence installation Denver wood fences that are actually quite expensive, but the installation of prefabricated fence panels is affordable and relatively easy. This fencing option is available in come in multiple widths, heights, and styles. You save the time necessary to constructing each fence panel and move right on to setting and installing the wood fence panels themselves.
This type of fence is great for those who need to contain livestock. Barbed wire fences, fences made from high-tensile wire or vinyl-coated wire are affordable, easy and fast to install and fulfill their purpose efficiently.
Plastic Mesh Fence
These fences are great for keeping wildlife away from your property or to contain your pets. The fence material comes in large rolls, which will be attached by the installer to metal posts with zip ties. Such a fence is purely functional, very practical and affordable. It is easy to install; homeowners can do the installation themselves.
If you want your fence to have a long lifespan, it must be protected. The biggest enemy of wood is moisture, so this type of fence has to be treated to withstand the weather. The paint layer works as a protective coating against moisture, sun and pest infestation.
You can use special varnish, glaze or paint on your fence, but you must choose products specially created to be used outdoors because otherwise they will not protect the wood properly.
To prepare the fence, start by cleaning the area around it. After you finish, cover the ground with a protective foil to avoid damaging the grass with leaking paint. Inspect the fence and do the necessary repairs, such as replacing nails or cracked boards. After you finish, you must use a piece of sandpaper to clean the surface of the fence from traces of old paint; the smoother the surface of the wood, the easier and efficient the painting.
As for metal Arvada fencing, if you are wondering if you need a special paint, the answer is YES! There are paints specifically created for surfaces such as your iron fence, which means they provide the adequate cover and protection. In some cases it is not necessary to apply a primer before painting, because there are paints with anti-corrosive properties, which inhibit rust and prevent its appearance, without help from an additional product.
If you want your outdoor Westminster fencing to look great, choosing the right colors can be a very important task. However, it’s also important to note that the “correct” colors aren’t always just your own preferred color palettes or a color choice that fits in well with your home exterior. Other factors can also be involved, so the choice itself can become a complex one, which will require you to take multiple elements into account before actually making it:
- When choosing a palette, you have to consider the contrast between the various colors used in your fence as well as the contrast between the chosen palette and the environment. Overly dark tones might not be suited if your landscaping and home exterior feature extremely bright colors, or if the environment and the surrounding neighborhood have colors that will make your fence stand out too much.
- It’s typically best to stick to a combination of cool or warm colors, depending on the setting. Combining warm and cool colors should be done very carefully, as various hues of orange and blue might go together well in some settings, but colors like red and purple will rarely mix well when it comes to livening up your fence and making it look elegant at the same time.
- Finally, consider color tones that fit in well with the natural environment and with the colors you want to promote through your flower garden. Your fence should blend in perfectly with the nature surrounding it, if you want it to look good overall.
Some materials resulting from demolished old fencing are no use at all, but others are excellent starting points for creative Westminster fencing recycling projects – while masonry or vinyl fences can only be disposed off when they are not needed any more, the wood boards that make up fences can be reused in many ways. Here are some:
- Building a new fence – be careful when you dismantle your old wood fence, paying attention not to damage the boards that are still healthy. Dispose the old, damaged boards, then clean the healthy ones, cut them to equal pieces and use them to create a new fence in which the boards are placed diagonally or in a triangle shape;
- Make a door for your shed – the process is essentially the same, but you will need a frame to insert the pieces of board into. You can create insert and use colors for a more attractive or stunning appearance;
- Build furniture – the old boards from your fence can be used for building furnishing items for your deck or for your patio. You can use them to put together a short-legged table, a bench or other forms of seating and they are great for shelves, too.
Summer is the season when the gardens are filled with the colors of the flowers and shine under the sun rays. But as beautiful as a garden or a back yard is, a banal or ugly fence will negatively affect its charm.
Some people decorate their fences in various ways, to enhance their visual appeal. Some paint their fences in vivid colors, with cartoon characters or flowers, while others choose to prolong their garden on the vertical planks of the fences, installing stands or pots for different species of flowers and plants. Some creative owners install on the fences colored boxes for birds, or even carve their wood fences in different ways.
With a little patience and skill, these decorative ideas can be easily put into practice.
But before anything else, you should be concerned about decorating your fence without harming it. Protecting the fence starts with knowing the particularities of the material it is made from. Brick or asphalt fences can crack, wood, vinyl and metal can be scratched and stained, while a living fence can be affected in multiple ways. According to Arvada fence company pros, to protect your fence, avoid mechanical shocks, avoid decorations that require the execution of operations that can weaken its structure, and generally avoid performing operations that are not adequate with the material the fence is made of.