Rain, wind, frost, insects or animals can affect the integrity of a wooden fence. Repairing the small defects as you spot them is absolutely necessary, and you should do this before performing any maintenance operation. According to residential fence company pros, many repairs are quite easy to do and only require some handiness.
Start by checking each nail and board, fix the displaced ones and replace those that are damaged. Pay particular attention to the lower part of the fence boards, close to the ground, because it is more prone to rotting. Also look for signs of insect attack.
Another DIY operation you can do is treating the wood with anti-mildew solutions and varnish, but before doing so, the surface of the fence must be spotless, free of dust or other impurities. If the boards still present traces of the previous paint/ varnish layers, it is advisable to use a stripper – a solution that helps to remove them completely.
Treatment and painting of a wooden fence is quite easy to do and involves the use of several substances that have the role to protect it from the weather, from the action of pests and to restore its appearance.
If you want to keep your wooden fence in good shape for as long as possible, do not forget also to wash it regularly using water from a garden hose and mild detergent. Prompt removal of dirt, dust and plant debris will prolong its life and ease your future work related to performing repairs.
DIY fencing is not necessarily very complicated, but requires some skills and paying attention to avoid some common mistakes that may cost you quite a lot of money.
- Purchasing low quality fencing materials -When you shop for fencing materials, avoid choosing the cheapest, because they are also low quality. Even if you are on a budget, you should avoid compromising on quality. With a little research, you will surely be able to identify a good option in terms of costs and durability.
- Ignoring to treat the wood before installing the fence – Wood fences require special treatment to ensure their resistance in time, by avoiding problems caused by rot, insects attack and exposure to the elements.
- Installing the wrong type of fence – Fence repair Thornton CO contractors know how to identify the best type of fence for your property, but inexperienced homeowners can make mistakes. In many cases, people tend to opt for a tall privacy fence, even if it looks completely out of place, and a simple white picket fence would do just fine.
- Not anchoring the fence posts properly – Using enough fence posts and bury them deeply into the ground is essential in any fencing project. Unfortunately, sometimes DIYers want to finish the work sooner and use fewer posts, which can make the fence unstable.
Installing a new fence can be a costly especially if you choose some attractive materials and design. Although the aspect of a fence should not be more important than its functionality, you can still get an affordable solution that also looks nice. Consider the fence installation Denver suggestions below.
Wood Fence Panels
There are custom-built fence installation Denver wood fences that are actually quite expensive, but the installation of prefabricated fence panels is affordable and relatively easy. This fencing option is available in come in multiple widths, heights, and styles. You save the time necessary to constructing each fence panel and move right on to setting and installing the wood fence panels themselves.
This type of fence is great for those who need to contain livestock. Barbed wire fences, fences made from high-tensile wire or vinyl-coated wire are affordable, easy and fast to install and fulfill their purpose efficiently.
Plastic Mesh Fence
These fences are great for keeping wildlife away from your property or to contain your pets. The fence material comes in large rolls, which will be attached by the installer to metal posts with zip ties. Such a fence is purely functional, very practical and affordable. It is easy to install; homeowners can do the installation themselves.
If you want your fence to have a long lifespan, it must be protected. The biggest enemy of wood is moisture, so this type of fence has to be treated to withstand the weather. The paint layer works as a protective coating against moisture, sun and pest infestation.
You can use special varnish, glaze or paint on your fence, but you must choose products specially created to be used outdoors because otherwise they will not protect the wood properly.
To prepare the fence, start by cleaning the area around it. After you finish, cover the ground with a protective foil to avoid damaging the grass with leaking paint. Inspect the fence and do the necessary repairs, such as replacing nails or cracked boards. After you finish, you must use a piece of sandpaper to clean the surface of the fence from traces of old paint; the smoother the surface of the wood, the easier and efficient the painting.
As for metal Arvada fencing, if you are wondering if you need a special paint, the answer is YES! There are paints specifically created for surfaces such as your iron fence, which means they provide the adequate cover and protection. In some cases it is not necessary to apply a primer before painting, because there are paints with anti-corrosive properties, which inhibit rust and prevent its appearance, without help from an additional product.
If you want your outdoor Westminster fencing to look great, choosing the right colors can be a very important task. However, it’s also important to note that the “correct” colors aren’t always just your own preferred color palettes or a color choice that fits in well with your home exterior. Other factors can also be involved, so the choice itself can become a complex one, which will require you to take multiple elements into account before actually making it:
- When choosing a palette, you have to consider the contrast between the various colors used in your fence as well as the contrast between the chosen palette and the environment. Overly dark tones might not be suited if your landscaping and home exterior feature extremely bright colors, or if the environment and the surrounding neighborhood have colors that will make your fence stand out too much.
- It’s typically best to stick to a combination of cool or warm colors, depending on the setting. Combining warm and cool colors should be done very carefully, as various hues of orange and blue might go together well in some settings, but colors like red and purple will rarely mix well when it comes to livening up your fence and making it look elegant at the same time.
- Finally, consider color tones that fit in well with the natural environment and with the colors you want to promote through your flower garden. Your fence should blend in perfectly with the nature surrounding it, if you want it to look good overall.
Some materials resulting from demolished old fencing are no use at all, but others are excellent starting points for creative Westminster fencing recycling projects – while masonry or vinyl fences can only be disposed off when they are not needed any more, the wood boards that make up fences can be reused in many ways. Here are some:
- Building a new fence – be careful when you dismantle your old wood fence, paying attention not to damage the boards that are still healthy. Dispose the old, damaged boards, then clean the healthy ones, cut them to equal pieces and use them to create a new fence in which the boards are placed diagonally or in a triangle shape;
- Make a door for your shed – the process is essentially the same, but you will need a frame to insert the pieces of board into. You can create insert and use colors for a more attractive or stunning appearance;
- Build furniture – the old boards from your fence can be used for building furnishing items for your deck or for your patio. You can use them to put together a short-legged table, a bench or other forms of seating and they are great for shelves, too.
Summer is the season when the gardens are filled with the colors of the flowers and shine under the sun rays. But as beautiful as a garden or a back yard is, a banal or ugly fence will negatively affect its charm.
Some people decorate their fences in various ways, to enhance their visual appeal. Some paint their fences in vivid colors, with cartoon characters or flowers, while others choose to prolong their garden on the vertical planks of the fences, installing stands or pots for different species of flowers and plants. Some creative owners install on the fences colored boxes for birds, or even carve their wood fences in different ways.
With a little patience and skill, these decorative ideas can be easily put into practice.
But before anything else, you should be concerned about decorating your fence without harming it. Protecting the fence starts with knowing the particularities of the material it is made from. Brick or asphalt fences can crack, wood, vinyl and metal can be scratched and stained, while a living fence can be affected in multiple ways. According to Arvada fence company pros, to protect your fence, avoid mechanical shocks, avoid decorations that require the execution of operations that can weaken its structure, and generally avoid performing operations that are not adequate with the material the fence is made of.
Wood is a natural material, so wooden fences are the most exposed type of fences to the elements: sun, frost, moisture, pests and mold affect them directly, so they need constant maintenance and even refurbishing. You do not need any in-depth specialized knowledge to know what you need to do to protect your wooden fence, but sometimes the help of a cedar residential fencing company Denver pro can be helpful.
Before you get started, check if the fence is in good condition. Rain, wind, frost, or even insects and animals can affect the integrity of a fence, so it is advisable to repair the problems before you begin the maintenance operations.
For this you need to check each nail, screw, plank or railing and fix the loose or broken elements. Make sure you also inspect carefully the bottom of the fence, where the planks meet the ground, to identify and potential rot issues.
The next step is cleaning the fence and sanding it (which helps removing scratches and roughness caused by moisture and allows the lacquer/ paint to adhere better). The final step in the wood fence maintenance involves the application of lacquer or paint, with the role of protecting the fence from the weather and the action of pests and enhancing its aspect.
Installing your own fence might seem like an easy task, especially if the fencing design that you are planning to use is simple. In most cases, the process is fairly simple, indeed, but even so, many property owners who choose DIY fence installation are eventually dissatisfied with the outcome. The reason why DIY fences are sometimes less than perfect is the mistakes and poor judgement during the material purchasing and installation process – here is a list from Metro Fence with some of the most common DIY fencing mistakes to help you avoid them:
- Buying poor quality materials – lower quality material is cheaper, but very often looks just as attractive as more expensive varieties. However, lower quality material is likely to get damaged prematurely, so you should never make that compromise;
- Using fence posts that are too short or not digging holes that are deep enough for installing the posts – the posts will give your fence its stability, so they need to be anchored properly in the ground to be able to withstand winds and storms. Ideally, fence posts need to go down at least one third of their height and they also need to be secured with concrete and gravel;
- Using untreated material for wooden fences – wood should always be treated with suitable, moisture and insect repellent coatings to prevent premature deterioration. Don’t forget to reapply the coatings at regular intervals, too.
When the weather turns warmer and nature comes back to life, we all want to spend more time outside. Winter usually takes its toll on buildings as well as on landscapes, so if you want to make your yard a really pleasant space, you will probably need to do at least a little bit of cleaning. However, while you are at it, there is no reason why you should not add a touch of new design to the space – here are some simple, low-cost ideas for a yard update in spring:
– Refresh your furniture – take a look at your outdoor furniture to see whether the pieces have suffered any severe damage. If there are items that are beyond repair, toss them, but if your pieces are just a little bit worn, clean them and paint them, then add some bright-colored pillows;
– Check out your fencing. Now is a good time to have experienced Arvada fence company contractors repair and replace perimeter or decorative fencing. They will provide excellent quality and service.
– Build a fire pit – you can use inexpensive materials to build the pit or you can have a large masonry fireplace built. You can use the pit not only for making barbeques – you can light a fire and sit around it with friends any time you want;
– Add lights – you can use long LED strings that you wrap around your trees or you can use solar-powered lights on stakes to light the paths.