Winter is the season when it is most likely that we experience inclement weather, so taking extra care of your fence is important. If with a vinyl fence you will not worry about too many things except for verifying its stability and integrity and cleaning it, when it comes to a wood fence, things get more complicated.
Wood is a beautiful element and also resistant and durable, but only if it is treated and maintained properly. Otherwise, it will rot soon enough, or it will be infested by pests.
According to fence repair Thornton CO professionals, to prevent these problems, a wood fence has to be cleaned periodically and varnished or painted. This way, it will remain protected from moisture and the freeze-thaw cycles happening during the cold season. You should also consider trimming the trees close to your fence, to prevent snow accumulation or fallen branches that may damage your fence.
Metal fences require almost the same type of treatment, as they are subject to rust because of the same reasons. However, people who have a metal fence will have to treat it rarely compared to wooden fence owners.
When you choose varnishes or paints for such a treatment, make sure you opt for adequate products, designed for being used outdoors and on the material your fence is made from.
Installing a new fence on your property requires careful preparation, especially if it involves the demolition of the old fence to make space for the new one. Here are some of the things that you will need to take care of:
- Establish property limits clearly – take a look at the property drawings and blueprints and make sure that the fence is on your side of the property limits;
- Obtain fence repair Thornton CO permits if you need to – find out whether or not the operations you are proposing require a permit. Consult HOA covenants and local building regulations – they will tell you how to apply for a permit if you need one and what type of fences are allowed in the neighborhood;
- Inform your neighbors about your plans – you are not required by the law to do this, but discussing your plans with your property neighbors will improve your relationship with them;
- Choose your materials and create the design – choose your material and create the design based on your preferences and the fence repair Thornton CO HOA covenants that informs such choices in your neighborhood as well as based on the terrain on your property and the climate area where your property is located;
- Clean the area of the installation – de-weeding the area and loosening the ground where it is too hard are also very important.
The Colorado building industry is in the process of continuous growth and expansion, one of the most important trends that can be expected for this year being further growth of at least 7%. Here are some other trends that can be relied on:
- Further increase in residential construction – Colorado is becoming increasingly attractive for companies in various segments. More companies coming to the state bring more people who move to the state permanently and need a home to live in, so if the process continues, residential construction is likely to continue growing, too. If you are looking at Colorado real estate, know that there are many great companies around to support the buying process – from roof repair to quality fence repair Thornton CO is home to amazing service industries;
- Sustainability – another important trend that governs Colorado construction is the incorporation of green elements and of sustainable building solutions. Timber construction and the extended usage of recycled materials are just two of the most popular sustainable technologies used;
- Labor shortage – the rapid growth in demand is matched with the increase in the number of building projects started, but most building companies are continuously struggling to find suitable workforce. Labor shortage affects mostly the level of skilled and unskilled work, but building companies are looking for office staff, managers with or without experience in construction and many other positions, so for people looking for a way to start a career in construction now is the time to make their move.
Just like in the cases of other elements of your home, you must repair your fence as long as repairing is efficient. When the problems are too big or too expensive for attempting repairs, it is time to consider a new fence.
It doesn’t matter how well a fence is built; fencing materials can be affected by weather, insects, as well as by accidents (impact with cars, fallen tree branches etc.). All of them require different levels of maintenance. For example, wood must be treated regularly with solutions and paint, in order to keep moisture and insects away, while vinyl requires just some cleaning, now and then.
It is not so hard to determine if your fence reached the end of its lifespan. If the material is affected beyond repair or reconditioning, it will have a worn out aspect and it will start falling down. Such a fence is not only unsightly, but also no longer secure.
When a fence is not so old, and has only some damaged elements, repairs are probably still possible. However, if you want to be sure, you should contact a fence repair Thornton CO specialist, who can also help you with the choice of better materials and a different style, in case you decide to replace your fence after all.