Installing a fence serves several different purposes. First, it is used to mark your property and, in many cases, it has a decorative role. However, a fence also ensures privacy and even provides security, depending on the materials it is made from, its height etc.
A fence that offers all these benefits and is also very aesthetic and made from quality materials has the potential to increase the value of a property. If your home is in a high end neighborhood, having a security gate at the end of your driveway may increase your property value as well. Westminster gate installation specialists can provide you with additional information.
The most appreciated fencing materials are wrought iron, wood, natural stone and brick, due to their classy, natural and authentic aspect. On the other hand, you can be sure that a chain link fence will not contribute to increasing your home`s value, no matter what you do; it will only have a practical value.
However, there is no need to invest in an expensive fence if it doesn’t match the rest of your property. Get informed about how these things work and choose a solution that matches what you already have, because only this way your fence can become a valuable asset.
Finally yet importantly, to make the most of you fence, make sure it is installed professionally and you get warranty for it. Potential buyers could appreciate this detail if you want to sell your house.
A home should mean stability, security and intimacy. Everyone wants a good home, but in order to reach this goal, it is of course necessary to go through a series of important steps.
The exterior of the property, whether we are talking about the yard or the garden, is a space that we must arrange in the most intelligent way in order to have a complete, comfortable and nice looking home. An element of particular importance is the fence, which is unfortunately often neglected and treated as a secondary element in terms of importance.
Here are some reasons why we have to inspect the fence and gate before buying a house.
First, the installation of a new fence or gate and the necessary repairs cost money and involve finding Westminster gate installation specialists, identifying the right materials and design etc. If the fence and gate is in very good condition, you will not have to worry about these things. In addition, in some cases, the fence has not only a decorative role, but it is designed to maintain the security of a perimeter, therefore its condition is even more important.
A good fence and gate that is made of durable materials that complements the overall image of a property will help increase its value.
As much as we wish, we cannot talk about exceptionally looking properties unless we include the fences and gates.
Fences, and sometimes gates, are necessary property components. But they are not cheap, so you need to be very cautious when picking the material for the fence. Here are some of the most common mistakes made when investing into a new fence and gate:
- Buying low-quality materials – the initial investment might be smaller if you buy low-quality material, but the decision will compromise the durability of your fence and gate, so it is not worthwhile on the long run; The best advice for gate installation is to use a reputable and trusted Westminster gate installation specialist to provide you with HIGH QUALITY and long term performance options.
- Using untreated wood – if your fence has wood components as well, one of the biggest mistakes that you can make is to leave the wood untreated. In lack of protective coating, the wood components can develop rot, they can be damaged by excessive sunshine and temperature changes and they will be defenseless in front of pest attacks;
- Using fence posts that are too short – getting shorter posts might also seem like a way to reduce the costs, but in fact it is a costly mistake. Fence posts need to go down into the ground to a certain depth to be able to hold the rest of the fence firmly in place; if they are too short, they will not be able to their job and the resulting fence will be a weak one.
If your neighborhood has a homeowners’ association, the association’s covenant probably has very clear and precise guidelines about the style, size and material of the fences and gates in the neighborhood.
This also means that the first thing to do before you even start designing your fence, thinking about its material, style and size is to consult the document. Here are some of the aspects that you might need HOA approval for:
- Fence type – some HOA covenants do not allow to use certain materials, such as chain link or split rail, to be used on property sides facing the street because these types would disrupt the overall appearance of a neighborhood where most fences are made from masonry or wood;
- The height of the fence – this is another aspect that HOA covenants are usually very specific about. Having a fence that is too tall or too short compared to the other fences in the street or in the neighborhood also disrupts the harmonious appearance of the neighborhood.
Failing to comply with applicable HOA Westminster gate installation regulations and fencing requirements can have very serious consequences – you might be required to remove the uncomplying fence, therefore the best thing to do is to find out about the criteria that need to be observed when building a fence.
The fence around your property is as much part of your home as your windows, your doors, your patio or your landscape, so if you are renovating and you want to make sure the appearance of your entire home is harmonious and integrated, you should probably include your fencing into the project as well.
Here are some of the ways how your fence can improve the success of your home remodeling project:
- Harmony at first sight – your fence is the very first thing that your visitors notice when they approach your property and you surely know how important first impressions are. A renovated, clean and attractive building surrounded by a shabby, warping or damaged fence creates a bad first impression, so your fence cannot be left out of your renovation project if you want to improve the looks of your entire property;
- Enhanced security for your assets during and after the renovation – most homeowners engaged in extensive remodeling projects store building materials and machines in the yard during the project. Starting the renovation with a Westminster gate installation and secure fence will make sure that your property, your machines and construction materials are safe from burglars and other intruders and a remodeled fence will keep protecting your property after the remodeling project is complete as well.
Custom fences, whether made from wood or metal, such as cast iron or aluminum, are great for getting the privacy and security that you are looking for as well as for delimiting your property in a stylish and unique way. Here are the most benefits of custom fences:
- Personalized security – no two properties are the same and no two property owners have the exact same take on security. Pre-manufactured fences, however, are all the same, therefore only custom fabricated fences can guarantee that all your specific, security-related expectations are met;
- The availability of custom gates – Westminster fencing offers customized gate options, making sure that your access solution will be the most suitable for your property and will suit your tastes as well;
- More durability – custom fences are usually more resistant to the elements and more durable than premade solutions. Custom fences are also more expensive, but given the longer lifespan of the fence, the investment is well worth it;
- Special design solutions available – the makers of custom fences can execute the client’s own design or they can create a unique design based on the client’s instructions, so custom fences are the best way to confer your property unique curb appeal.
Before installing a new fence on your commercial property, you must make a plan that should involve confirming your property lines and making some measurements of the area you want to surround. This is very important to avoid ending up by realizing you do not have enough materials to finish the fence or, on the contrary, to buy too many of them.
Luckily, these preliminary steps are not so complicated, as long as you know what you are doing.
Confirming your property lines is a part of the fencing etiquette; if you ignore it, you may step on your neighbors’ property and enter some legal issues. Therefore, consult a land surveyor or your county’s records.
The next step is locating underground utilities and other obstructions. Installing a fence may cause damage to underground utilities, so you are required to mark them before digging for making the foundation.Measure the perimeter of the area you want to surround with a fence, as well as your fence panels. Divide these numbers and see how many panels you need. Mark the corner posts and then the line posts, to determine how many you are required to install (a line post is placed between two fence panels). Also take into consideration the size and type of the gate you may need as well. Westminster gate installation specialists can help you with measurements and guidelines.
Alternatively, you can use online fence calculators. You can find calculators for different fence materials and they will help you make accurate estimates.