Invisible dog fences are electric fences with 3 components:
- the transmitter, which sends a radio signal received by the dog’s collar, with a warning or correction message
- the electric wire that is buried in the ground
- the dog`s collar, with a waterproof radio receiver
- The dog is protected, he cannot escape, disappear, ingest toxic objects or attack people
- The electric fence is much easier to maintain than the traditional fence because it is not affected by weather conditions
- You do not have to worry about the aspect of the fence, about whether it fits with other exterior elements etc.
There are also disadvantages, and for some these are enough to consider that traditional fences are better.
- It is not advisable to use an invisible fence without training the dog
- Although it is designed to protect your dog, to prevent him from leaving the enclosed perimeter, foreign dogs or foreign persons can easily enter. That is why we suggest you consult with Westminster fencing pros for pet safety solutions.
- Some dogs may end up ignoring the transmitted signal and leave the perimeter after all
- Invisible fences do not work for puppies under 6 months (they have poor understanding of orders)
- Some people disagree with the idea of an electric fence, although it does no harm to the animal
- Sometimes the collar may fail and transmit signals for no reason; the batteries of the receiver must be checked periodically.