When you want to have a high quality fence installed, it’s very important to consider the material that it is made from. A durable and enduring fence will make sure you won’t have to worry about repairing your fence too often or about having to repaint it if the paint gets impaired by the elements.
Plastic fences are a great affordable solution, and you don’t really have to worry too much that they’d become degraded over a shorter period of time. They are designed to also help you prevent the need to paint them too often or to use too much maintenance. Moreover, if you plan to install a plastic fence, you’ll find that it’s much easier because of the lightweight qualities of the material.
Wood, on the other hand, is stronger and more durable if it’s given proper maintenance and re-painted on a regular basis. Per local Denver fence companies, other types of fences may be much more resilient and secure than a plastic fence, but they also have to be taken care of better. You have to check for mold and rot as well as termites and other pests that might affect them. Also, when you re-paint your wooden fence, it’s very important to use the right primer to get the job done properly and avoid long term damage.
When you own a large ranch, security is a big part of the job. Aside from making sure all your animals are well-fed and taken care of, and getting all the supplies you need to keep your crops healthy, you should also think about having Denver fence companies set up perimeter fencing around your ranch. In addition, installing a centralized security system, and getting the surveillance cameras operational, so you can spot any foul play that might be afoot, is recommended.
Surveillance is one of the best tools to keep your ranch secure. While you can’t stay up night and day and be in multiple places at once to guard every area of your ranch, you can set up cameras that will spot any changes in the landscape and sensors that can notify you if someone or something makes it past them.
Once your surveillance system is set up, you will have the power to take action, notify the authorities, protect yourself and your family, and prevent any damage or theft that might befall your precious ranch. Oftentimes, you can spot intruders in time to take all the measures you need to take, and you may also be able to identify them while having the visual evidence you need to have them put behind bars.
Many homeowners install their own fences, especially if we are talking about landscaping or decorative fences, which are easier to deal with. On the other hand, a solid privacy and security fence can take you most of the summer to being installed, because you will have to deal with digging postholes, setting posts, installing pickets and rails or even building the fence from clay or stones. It is true that you can save a lot of money if you do this work on your own, but a professional fence company will do it in just a couple of days.
If you opt for hiring a residential fencing company in Denver, you will soon find out that there are dozens of companies, which will make it very difficult for you to identify the right one for your fencing project.
The best advice is to start by asking around people you know, because the word of mouth advertising is much better than paid advertisements visible everywhere. Alternatively, go to the Better Business Bureau`s website and look for BBB rated Denver fence companies. Besides identification information, you can also read about the company`s presence in this business, its activity in the community as well as the history of customer complaints and the way they have been handled.
Before hiring a fencing contractor, you should prepare a few questions to get answers containing the information you need to know. Do not be ashamed to ask questions, or to insist when you feel that there is still something to clear up. You pay the money, so you have to know exactly for what. The answers you receive are also helpful to evaluate Denver fence companies and decide whether to hire it or to keep looking.
Here are some of the most relevant questions:
- Do you have a license? Can I see it or get its number? Are you also a member in fencing contractor associations?
- Do you have a local address (not a post box!) and phone number?
- Do you have a portfolio where I can see sample of your work? Can you also give me some references to check?
- Do you carry liability insurance and worker`s comp?
- Re you familiar with local regulations, in the case I need a permit? Can you obtain a permit on my behalf?
- Will you give me a written estimate with all the details of the project?
- Will there be any unexpected costs? Or is there anything else I should know?
- How long will take the fence repair/ installation?
A wooden fence make great addition on any property – whatever the style of your building, whatever the layout of your landscape, you can use wood for building not only a picket fence, but a privacy fence as well. However, not all wood varieties are suitable for building fences – per highly rated Denver fence companies, here are the types most commonly used:
- Pine – one of the most common choices, preferred for its affordability and its longevity. The material is also very easy to work with and it resists quite well to humidity and temperature changes;
- Cedar – the material is very durable and it also contains compounds that repel insects, so your cedar fence will be avoided by termites and by other critters and it will provide a great solution for the delimitation of your property;
- Redwood – another wood variety that is avoided by insects and very durable, redwood is the preferred choice for many properties due to its attractive grain pattern and beautiful colors;
- Cypress – this wood variety is attractive to the human eye, but completely unattractive for insects. The fences made from cypress require very little maintenance and will resist for decades without requiring the owners to repair them all the time.
The materials used in commercial fences are all sturdy and durable, but even so, they need some attention and help to be able to perform at their very best and to offer the protection and the looks that property owners expect. Here are some tips from commercial Denver fence companies that can help you increase the longevity of your fence:
- Regular inspections – whatever the material used for making the fence, regular inspections are the best way to detect any damage and to stop any deterioration on its tracks. Perform an inch-by-inch inspection of your fence at the beginning of each season and address the issues that you find right away;
- Make sure that the posts are sturdy – posts that are not planted firmly into the ground can expose the fence material to excessive tension and can cause the premature deterioration of the fence. Whenever you inspect your fence, pay attention to the posts, too and refill the holes around them with gravel to prevent water damage and to ensure the stability of the fence;
- Use coating – if your fence is made from wood or metal, protect it against moisture and other types of damage with the right type of coating. Don’t forget to reapply the coating according to the instructions on the product, usually every 1-3 years.
Ideally, new fences are installed in a way that does not harm the existing features of the space that the fence will surround, protecting the trees, shrubs and other type of vegetation on the line where the fence will be installed. There are two ways to protect the trees in your yard against damage caused by fence installation:
- You can either have Denver fence companies install your fence at a distance from your trees, making sure that the installation does not affect the roots of your trees. Tree roots usually extend in a circle the diameter of which corresponds to the edge of the tree’s crown, but to make sure that the installation process causes no damage, it is a good idea to expand the distance between the tree and the fence a couple of inches more;
- You can move the trees that grow where your fence will be installed – modern excavation technology allows for safely removing and replanting even large, old trees. You will need some large machines for the process and you will also need to have a large hole dug out for the replanting, but it is a great way for preserving your tree and for having a new fence at the same time.
Springtime is the ideal time for assessing the damage sustained by your property during the winter and to do some thorough cleaning in and around the house, followed by the maintenance work deemed necessary. Fences are essential components of any property and they also need cleaning as well as maintenance, especially if the winter was hard – here are the most important fence maintenance tasks for Denver fence companies for the spring:
- Cleaning – a mix of mild soap and warm water is just perfect for removing the impurities from the surface of the fence components. If you have a metal fence, you can scrub off rust and spots of stubborn dirt with a toothbrush. When you are done cleaning the fence, rinse the fence with clean water and let it dry before you move on to the next steps;
- Repairs – when the fence is clean, perform a thorough inspection to identify any faults that need repair. Bent metal components can be straightened using some heat and a hammer, damaged wood components can be corrected or replaced. If you see extensive rusted areas, apply a special rust-removal product to make sure the surface is entirely rust-free;
- Waxing or coating – applying a sealant, such as wax in case of wooden fences and other coatings for metal fences is essential for maintaining the fence in good condition.
Wood is the oldest fencing material and yes, wood fences are safe in every season and climate, if you provide them proper and regular maintenance. Vinyl or aluminum fences are almost maintenance-free, but wood is organic and just like any organic material, it is affected by moisture and ultimately it rots and disintegrate.
Fortunately, preventing this is not difficult, especially these days, when we have all kind of modern and efficient materials and solutions for ever problem.
When you have Denver fence companies build a wooden fence, make sure to choose the right type of wood and install it properly. Also, that wood must be cleaned annually and sealed with a special paint or varnish for outdoor elements. This way, moisture issues will be prevented.
Before the arrival of the winter, always have Denver fence pros check your wooden fence for softwood and identify the causes. Softwood may be the result of invasive insects that destroy wooden elements. In this case, you may also need to spray the fence with some special substances that will help you get rid of the insects, before patching the wood and apply the sealing solutions.
Tree branches may also crack during winter storms or under the weight of the snow and cause damage to your fence, so you should trim back the largest ones.