A property cannot be complete without a proper fence. There are certain criteria which help you determine what makes a good quality fence.
First of all, good quality residential fencing in Denver offers you proper privacy. Wood, brick or metal fences can offer great privacy, so be sure to consider these materials while choosing your fence.
Security is another variable criterion for homeowners or business owners. In case you have small children and/or pets, the height of a fence is very important. You should definitely choose a tall fence and gate, to ensure the safety and security of your property.
Your maintenance necessities play a major role in your choice of a fence. Despite the fact that a wood fence may seem aesthetically pleasing, they can be hard to maintain, as they can rot, warp, develop algae, mold or fungus. So it is best to be practical about it and find the most convenient type of fence in terms of maintenance.
To ensure the fact that you can enjoy a good quality fence for a long period of time, it is always a good idea to work with a professional team, which can offer you the best advice for your specific situation.
If you’re looking to install a brand new fence, there are a few very important considerations you need to be aware of. Whether or not it’s a trickier project from the start, the fact about installing a fence is that concerns and pitfalls could arise just about at every point of the process, and the type of fence you want to set up will weigh in a great deal when it comes to the difficulty level of the job.
DIY is great for most activities, and installing a fence is not really an exception to that rule. It can help you save some cash, and if you enjoy working with your hands, it could also provide you with a pleasant pastime. However, installing a fence is not that easy:
- From the start, you have to find out where you can and can’t put your fence and learn about building codes and restrictions that might only apply to your area.
- The job itself becomes more demanding when you’re using uncommon types of materials, heavy materials or unique designs.
- The soil itself can also work against you, especially if it’s too hard, too soft or just too unstable.
To avoid these pitfalls, it’s a good idea to hire a professional residential fencing Denver installation team to do all the work for you. It might be a little more expensive, but in most cases, the added experience and expertise will only lead to a sturdier installation job and a more resilient fence.
The subject of warranty is often too neglected when discussing a fence project. However, it plays a huge role in the whole process, helping you ensure that the materials which have been used are of good quality or at least that it can be repaired in a certain period of time. The manufacturer is responsible for the quality of his products.
The installation warranty, for instance, usually refers to a period of 12 months, which begins at the moment that the fencing project was completed. Contractors are often required to be licensed. At the same time, many contractors can extend the warranty period to more than 2 years.
The best type of warranty is the one which can cover the workmanship also, and not only the materials. However, not all the companies have this type of warranty. Such warranty may also include things such as leaning posts, any loose pickets, gate adjustments, and so on.
Good quality work deserves to be made with good materials, and, of course, needs to be done by good residential fencing Denver professionals. But a good warranty is also essential. Having the most beautiful fence in the neighborhood is not enough; it also needs to be covered by a strong warranty.
After your fence is installed, the obvious thing you need to do is keep it in a good shape. Depending on the type of material that is used for your fence, here are a few ideas from residential fencing Denver authorities:
- If your fence is made of wood, you may need to treat it with protection solutions. In case you have painted or stained your fence, you need to re-do this operation every 3 or 5 years. The alternative is to use water sealant every year.
- Vinyl fences are the easiest ones to maintain, as they only need regular cleaning and you can use detergents on them without worrying that they may get damaged, like in the case of wood fences.
- If your fence is made of metal, you may need to keep it safe from corrosive solutions, and to avoid leaning any heavy objects against it. At the same time, you should also remember to keep metal gates and hinges in a good shape.
- Composite fences are easiest to maintain, as they have the look of wood and durability of plastic. They can be maintained the same way as vinyl fences.
- Check on your fence regularly, looking for signs of damage and call on the Denver fencing experts if needed.
Dogs love to dig. That’s just a fact of nature. In the case of many smaller dogs, the fence isn’t really recognized as a boundary, but more as a kind of an obstacle. So, as they grow, dogs sometimes get into the habit of digging under the fence, making enough space for themselves to exit the premises of your property, potentially getting themselves into trouble and impairing the structural integrity of the fence as well.
Fortunately, there are a few simple ways to discourage a dog from digging and escaping under a fence:
- Walk your dog at least twice a day and make sure that he gets enough exercise. Dogs have a lot of energy, and if they work out every day, they won’t use their energy to mess up your fence.
- Teach your dog a few simple commands and tricks, so you can discourage an activity whenever you don’t want them to continue it. That way, the dog will form a habit of avoiding that activity in the future, even if you’re not there to discourage it.
- Distract them with treats, balls and toys. Dogs love to play and they love to receive treats for a job well done. As long as they listen to you and they interact with the playful activities that you encourage, you’ll find that the treats they receive will make them forget all about their digging activities.
- Talk to conscientious residential fencing Denver pros and ask if there are any steps they can take during the fence installation or repair process to further prohibit your pets from escaping under your fence.
There are several reasons why you may want to opt for privacy fencing. People choose this type of fencing especially in case of nosy or disturbing neighbors, but also if they want to have more privacy around pools or property lines. At the same time, privacy residential fencing in Denver offers more security for kids and pets, while preventing your neighbors’ pets from coming into your yard.
In order for a fence to provide privacy, it needs to be at least 4 to 6 feet tall. At the same time, it needs to be built out of a solid material. The most frequent materials are wood and vinyl.
Before starting to build a privacy fence, there are certain things that you may need to do, such as discussing your plans with your neighbors. In case construction works involve using at least a part of their yard space, they need to be informed about that.
Another thing you may need to do is getting a building permit from your local Denver building inspector. You need to make sure that all guidelines are strictly followed and the right building permits are obtained.
Your local utility companies also have to be notified, so that you agree on how deep into the ground you can go with your fence posts.
The fence is an element that delimits different areas and may have a protective purpose. But, besides functionality, the fence has an aesthetic role too, adding more personality to your property. In addition, building the fence is not such a demanding project, and with a proper plan, you can get a beautiful fence in no time.
How to choose the right type of residential fencing Denver materials and style
Besides its decorative role, the fence is also a safety element for your home. For example, you can choose a high stone fence, which will ensure your privacy, or a modern, rustic or even gothic fence, to meet your preferences and the style of your home and property in general.
Recommended materials for fences
The type of material used for the construction of the fence is one of the main criteria that you must consider before starting the project. Depending on the result you want to achieve, but also your available budget, you can choose between different types of fence materials including:
- Wooden fences
- Stone fences (marble, slate, travertine)
- Brick fences
- Fences from wooden panels
- White picket fences
- Mesh fences
- Gabion fences
- PVC fences
- Concrete fences
- Metal fences
Although the fence represents the first contact of the viewer with the area over which the owner has almost absolute control in shaping and decorating the space according to their taste and skill, it generally remains a detail ignored by most, executed in a hurry and without too many aesthetic considerations.
Unfortunately, the ugliest fences are not necessarily those made with limited financial resources; too many times we see a waste of wrought iron, decorations and expensive stone cladding which, by the opulence and total denial of the neighborhood`s trends, do a categorical disservice to the properties they surround. In each case, the owners should have rather choose simplicity.
The fence must be chosen by taking into account the architecture of the house and the environment. If your home`s style has Mediterranean influences, then you can choose a concrete fence, which can be painted in colors suitable for such a construction. On the other hand, if your home is made of wood or is situated in a mountainous area, then a wooden residential fencing Denver solution is what you need to jazz up your landscape.
Finally, regardless of whether it is a modern or an old property, the shape and characteristics that the fence will have must be established according to local laws, which, at least in some areas, may be quite restrictive.
Installing a fence to delimit your property may seem simple at first sight – after all, you only need to come up with an attractive design that is suitable for the purpose of the fence, buy the materials, dig holes for the poles and install the fence. While this is true, in essence, there is one more very important step to cover before you even start designing the fence and that is to talk to the owners of the properties next to yours about your intention to build a fence. Here are some tips about how to do it right:
- Discuss all the issues related to the territory to be fenced around – your fence should be installed on your property, but it should come right up to the property limit;
- If there is an old fence around your property, discuss how, when and on whose money it will be removed;
- Inform your neighbor about how and when the installation process will take place; Let them know you have hired one of the best residential fencing Denver companies to take care of the service.
- Be polite – strictly speaking, you don’t need the permission of your neighbor to put up a new fence on your territory, but discussing the project in an open and polite manner can only improve the relationship with your neighbors.
Fences are continuously exposed to the elements and each type of fence material has a different reaction to the prolonged stress. Here are some of the most common residential fencing Denver issues, the materials that they affect and the repair methods that should be used:
- Leaning fence posts, fallen panels – most commonly affecting fences made from chain link, wood and vinyl, the issue is usually caused by high winds, soil erosion or impact. If the fence is damaged by wind or falling objects, the remedy involves only the replacement of the panels and the straightening of the posts, but if the issue is caused by soil erosion, you will need an expert to create a suitable drainage system;
- Mildew, rot and insect damage – these issues affect wood fences and can be repaired by removing the damaged part of the fence and correcting it with some caulk. You can prevent the issue in the future by applying and reapplying suitable coating and paint;
- Staining – the issue is mostly encountered on vinyl fences. Fortunately, it is easy to remedy, all you need to do is to clean the affected area with some soap water;
- Rust – found on chain link and metal fencing, the remedy depends on the extent of the damage. Small spots can be removed with a brush and some rust removal product, but if the rusty area is too large, the panel needs to be replaced. To prevent further rusting, the repair should include the application of a rust prevention coating as well.